Date: Wed Oct 12 22:49:19 2005
From: lyal.collins at key2it.com.au (Lyal Collins)
Subject: NEW USA FFIES Guidance

Like running to a bank/post office and getting a certificate?
Certs are just a password verification tool, where user password
verification occurs locally intead of at the server.  This is NOT two-factor
byt any definition, just a password verificaiton displacement tool.

At a very quick look at the documentation, Australian banks have had similar
guidelines for some months.
The key requirement seems to be "do a risk assessment, and act based on the
outcome".  Everything else is optional, based on the risk assessment,
however that is performed, and whatever that internal document recommends.
On this model, its easy to justify not doing anything, since the fraud
dollar losses don't seems to be even a few percent of the costs to implement
and support two factor hardware devices based on the anecdotal evidence and
reviews I''ve seen.

Lyal