Date: Fri Oct 14 17:56:40 2005
From: mlande at bellsouth.net (Mary Landesman)
Subject: IMLogic telling porkies about Yahoo

I can't speak to the IMLogic figures, but these are a few Yahoo IM worms of
which I am aware.

Guap.a
Gunsan
Lile.a
Oscabot.k
StarGames
Velkbot.a
Yimp.a

All but one of these (Gunsan) was reported by antivirus vendors after April
2005.

According to the data I've collected, MSN Messenger users (in large part
because of Kelvir) appear to be the most frequent targets of all Instant
Messenger threats, with 319 IM worms (that I know of) to contend with. AOL
Instant Messenger (AIM) users come in a distant second with 64 IM worms
(that I know of) targeting them. Both ICQ and Yahoo! Messenger take third
place with only 7 IM worms (that I know of) each targeting those chat
clients.

It's probably a better idea to do the research yourself rather than relying
on figures from the client vendors (or even from me, for that matter). This
is all information that is available in various antivirus vendor
encyclopedias; it just requires jumping through search hoops rather than
jumping to conclusions.

-- Mary