Date: Sat Oct 15 18:25:55 2005
From: timb at gnessus.org (Tim Brown)
Subject: Call to participate: GNessUs security scanner

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, security curmudgeon wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Don't take this as anything but honest questions please! I am curious

Not at all.  Appologies for not replying sooner.

*snip*

> All that said, my questions: Why do you see a need to fork the Nessus tree
> at this time? Why haven't you or anyone else contributed in the past?
> Finally, do you think that if more people supported Nessus with
> contributions of code/time/enhancements, that they would have kept things
> the same?

I guess for me personally, there have been two reasons for this.  Until I
moved jobs just under a year ago, whilst I was engaged in security
testing/research, the role I occupied was not one where I had time,
support or desire to get involved in Nessus.  Secondly, the rumblings for
me started when the announcement was made of the splitting of the plugin
feed.  I guess up until that point, people were happy with Tenable's
stewardship of the project.  A number of those who I've talked to *have*
been involved in Nessus in the past and expressed a concern as to the
direction the project was taking.

Cheers,
Tim

PS GNessUs is going to have to be renamed, why not join gnessus-announce
and gnessus-discuss and help us set the name/agenda.
--
Tim Brown, GNessUs
<mailto:timb@...ssus.org>