lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite: Windows password security audit tool. GUI, reports in PDF.
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Sun Oct 16 13:53:27 2005
From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: annoying bug in Windows XP

Yep it is a documented function. It is due to the implementation of
FindFirstFile which searches both long file names and short file names.
 
See Remarks in
 
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/f
indfirstfile.asp
 
 
   joe
 

  _____  

From: full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk
[mailto:full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk] On Behalf Of Native.Code
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:15 AM
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] annoying bug in Windows XP


I won't say it is bug. It is expected behavior in 8.3 filesystem. Anyone who
has used Windows over a year knows this behavior.


On 10/16/05, Poof <poof@...subber.com> wrote: 

Yes, this occurs since you're just using the 8+3 filesystem with long
filenames. If you'll notice:

File1.jav shows as just that. While File1.java shows as File1~1.jav
(It usually hides the non-LFN tree with default dir flags. I don't remember
how to get it to show it all at this time.)

~

-----Original Message----- 
From: full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk
[mailto:full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk
<mailto:full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk> ] On Behalf Of Frank
Dietrich
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 1:25 AM
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: [Full-disclosure] annoying bug in Windows XP 

Hi to all readers,

this day I found a annoying misbehavior in Windows XP professional
with SP2.

I had a directory with some Java sources (*.java) and some backup
files (*.jav). Because I din't longer need the backup files I would 
delete them with 'del *.jav'. But this command also delete all the
source files. #?%*. The last backup was 4 hours ago. :-/

So I tried what happen and the result is the command above checks
only the first three chars from the extension (DOS is alive). 

Here is how you can reproduce it:

mkdir testbug
cd testbug
rem.>file1.jav
rem.>file2.java
rem.>file3.javas
del *.jav

All three files are deleted. Is this a known bug or a unknown feature? 

Frank
--
21 is only half the truth
_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
<http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html> 
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/

_______________________________________________
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/attachments/20051016/3cc77e03/attachment.html

Powered by blists - more mailing lists