Date: Mon Oct 17 06:23:18 2005
From: amir.fd at unoc.net (Amir Malik)
Subject: annoying bug in Windows XP

Hi,

The default setting on Windows is to create an 8.3 short file name for
every file that cannot fit in the 8.3 format. The example you posted is
expected behavior on a default Windows installation.

Fire up the Registry Editor and drill down to:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

To disable creation of 8.3 short file names on local NTFS file systems,
create or update the following DWORD registry keys:

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation // NTFS only
Win95TruncatedExtensions // del *.xxx phenomenon

I don't think it's possible to disable 8.3 creation on FAT file systems.
Other interesting keys:

Win31FileSystem  // FAT compatibility
NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate // OT, but personal favorite

Changes take place after reboot.

Cheers.

- Amir