Date: Fri Nov 11 19:29:29 2005
From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: Newsflash: Sony to stop making protected CDs

Fergie wrote:

>In response to these events, SONY BMG has swiftly provided a patch to all major anti-virus companies and to the general public that guards against precisely the type of virus now said to exist. The patch fixes the possible software problem, and still allows CDs to be played on personal computers. It can be downloaded at http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/. Starting today, we will also be adding this link to the SONY BMG label and corporate sites. We deeply regret any possible inconvenience this may cause.
>
>We stand by content protection technology as an important tool to protect our intellectual property rights and those of our artists. Nonetheless, as a precautionary measure, SONY BMG is temporarily suspending the manufacture of CDs containing XCP technology. We also intend to re-examine all aspects of our content protection initiative to be sure that it continues to meet our goals of security and ease of consumer use. More information about our content protection initiative can also be found at: http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp.

In English:

We're going to get our asses kicked in court.  In fact, truth be told,
we know that if we didn't take some kind of action immediately, some of
our executives stand a chance of going to jail - possibly even in
foreign countries.

Having said that, we still see you cattle as a source of limitless
resources and refuse to accept that you have rights.  Fair Use?
Hahahah... The only fair use is our use of you to make ourselves rich
and to screw our artists.

All your base are belong to us and all that jazz.