Date: Mon Nov 14 11:35:20 2005
From: peter at bank-connect.com (Peter van den Heuvel)
Subject: Blocking Skype

> This line is not necessary since standard squid.conf contains this line:
That has nothing to do with the proposed configuration. No serious squid
implementation would have a standard ACL list, so every serious admin
would rewrite them. And if you are serious you have some sort of
convention for names. His was obviously "connect" instead of "CONNECT",
like ours is "Connect". The proposal was none the less correct for it.

> so simply use the uppercase version (squid does not check upper and
> lower case in acl names)
I would nevertheless to case matching in actual configs.

> Respect :O) Two typos in just one line. With CONNECT mentioned above:
No, the "connect" was certainly not a typo. But indeed the "http access"
was.

 > BTW: I'm sure, it will break a lot of other things but skype, too.
Do you mean "I'm sure it will break a lot of other things, but skype
too.", or "I'm sure it will break a lot of other things but skype."?  I
guess we all mak typos :>)

 > BTW: I'm sure, it will break a lot of other things but skype, too.
That was pointed out first by the original poster himself. And I agree
with him that most of those "other things" are likely intentional too.
If indeed legitimate sites are found to be hindered I would prefer to
make explicit ACL entries for those, or notify the remote admin we are
unfortunately not able to access their website.

 > 2cent
Hmmm...

--
Regards, Peter