Date: Wed Nov 16 14:20:35 2005
From: barrie at reboot-robot.net (Barrie Dempster)
Subject: Three years and ten months without a patch

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:19 +0100, Marco Ermini wrote:
> On 11/15/05, InfoSecBOFH <infosecbofh@...il.com> wrote:
> > So why not start teaching some lessons David and release exploit code.
> >  It seems that is the only way they learn and take thing seriously.
>
> Rarely this software did not run in a what is considered "secured"
> environment - I mean, this is rarely exposed on Internet/DMZs. Usually
> Oracle DB (especially these older versions which didn't have so much
> web application software) are used just as database back end, which
> communicates with DMZs through multiple firewall levels (I am not
> justifying them in any way, I am just guessing why they may not care
> so much). Security is considered often not important - especially if
> you can "inexpensively" upgrade to a 9.x or 10.x or 11.x software
> version which "never breaks"...

Are we forgetting slammer ? A worm that attacked a product which you
would expect to be used in a similar way.

Backend or not, the system should be patched, being backend is not a
justifiable reason for not patching the system. Ignoring the fact that
these systems are commonly open to the net you also ignore, injection of
commands from a front end web server being carried backwards and what
about the local user ?

I work in a few environments where a DBA should not be allowed access to
the OS at any point other than to query the DB. A vulnerability such as
this in the software in use would have serious consequences in that
situation. Believing this would be a very narrow view of security and we
all know security is far from something to be viewed like that.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3