Date: Thu Nov 17 20:55:54 2005
From: pablo at vernocchi.com.ar (Vernocchi, Pablo)
Subject: Windows 2003 Logging/Log Analysis Tool

Mmm... AFAIK MOM is more than that (also costs MUCH MORE than that :) )...

Here you'll find more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/mom/evaluation/overview/default.mspx
And FAQ http://www.microsoft.com/mom/evaluation/faqs/default.mspx

Feature Description
Operator Console
 The Operator Console provides you with a view into the health of your
systems, indicates problems, and recommends resolutions. You can even add
company-specific troubleshooting information. Its multi-paned view allows
you to easily see the information necessary to resolve a problem without
having to open various windows or dialog boxes.

Reporting Console1
 The Reporting Console allows you to view event, alert, and performance
reports from a Web browser. It lets you subscribe to favorite reports and
automatically receive new versions as they change.

Tasks and Diagnostics
 MOM 2005 allows you to define, export, import, and launch context-sensitive
tasks and diagnostics. The tasks can run on the console, the server, or at
the agent. These tasks include pinging a machine, flushing a DNS cache, or
removing lingering objects from Active Directory.

Auto-Alert Resolution
 Auto Alert Resolution enables the agent to automatically update the MOM
database when an alert has been corrected without operator intervention.

Instance-Aware Monitoring
 MOM 2005 recognizes and monitors specific instances within a system. For
example, it identifies specific databases within SQL Server, not just SQL
Server, in general. This allows monitoring to be more detailed.

suppressed.

Deployment
Agentless Monitoring
 MOM 2005 monitors agentless servers. This is aimed at IT environments where
agents could not be installed on a few exception nodes. Agentless monitoring
is limited to status monitoring only.

Reporting
Richer Reporting3
 By utilizing SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, MOM 2005 can provide
highly customized reports. Reports can be easily exported to Microsoft
Excel, Adobe Acrobat, HTML, TIFF, CSV, or XML file formats.

Report Customization4
 Reports can be created and tailored through Visual Studio .NET.

Non-Microsoft Interoperability
MOM Connector Framework5
 MOM Connector Framework is a Web service that enables bi-directional
communication between multiple MOM instances and non-Microsoft management
systems to share data and resolve problems more easily across an enterprise.