Date: Tue Nov 22 16:03:29 2005
From: unknown.pentester at gmail.com (pagvac)
Subject: XCP2 v XCP - more than sony at fault?

On 11/22/05, Michael Holstein <michael.holstein@...ohio.edu> wrote:
> > If it is the case that these rootkits have been going to radio
> > stations, the press, etc since 2002 ... there could be some trouble (I
> > help out at a small independent radio station) cause im sure a lot of
> > the big American radio stations have a few pennies ... to sue with....
>
> Most of the big stations use the music digitally in the first place
> (under license .. and usually under 'pay for play' agreements).
>
> These days, anyone that puts *any* CD in their computer and lets it
> autorun is really asking for it. I hope Microsoft disables autoplay with
> an update in the future -- that would stop this silliness dead in its
> tracks.
> ~Mike.

Running a restricted user account by default would also help (no admin
privileges given to the application located on the CD).

I recommend everyone to get into this habit when using Windows
desktops. In cases in which you need admin privileges to install an
application you can just use the command "run as" by right-clicking on
the executable to install.