Date: Fri Nov 25 15:49:09 2005
From: james.mailing at gmail.com (James Eaton-Lee)
Subject: Return of the Phrack High Council

I don't really want to feed the trolls any more than we as a list
already have, but for your benefit, n3td3v, and in the hope that either
the list will have some of their concerns allayed or you'll realise
where you're going wrong...

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 14:58 +0000, n3td3v wrote:
> Youre playing with fire. Fire that cannot be put out with words but
> only inflame the situation of which you are misinformed.
>
> Your opinion is noted, yet you dont have a right to gag my opinion
> just because you don't agree with it.

He didn't try to, he asked you some questions.

> I have more right to be on a security list than random people like you
> who have never contributed security related information to the
> international security community, or have a mailing list of your own,
> and helped vendors behind the scenes to protect their security from
> script kids who wish to destroy it.

Talking about inflaming the situation in one breath and telling someone
you have more right to be here than they do in another doesn't help
either - you should realise this.

> I have done all above listed and continue to do so. If anyone is
> trolling, its individuals such as yourself and infosecbofh who have
> expressed their hatred for me and my underground security group in
> public. Finally, is your web site very secure? Best go check

Last first, making threats doesn't help either - again, you say two
things in one breath - you proclaim yourself as a fantastic, righteous
member of the community and also make veiled threats about other peoples
computer systems.

I think the majority of people on this list who have an unfavourable
reaction to you have it for the following reasons:

* You've never provided any concrete indication that you have any
technical knowhow (I've never read a post of yours on a technical topic)

* You (unlike most people who work in "corporate" security) are falling
for the trao of hiding behind an alias rather than using your real name.

* Your spelling, punctuation, and grammar (for someone who claims to
work in "corporate" security and have years of experience) is terrible.

* Your understanding of how "corporate security" actually works and how
the security community structured are both fundamentally flawed.

* You make grandiose allusions to things you know and
conversations/relationships/organisations you're privy to, almost all of
which are entirely unsubstantiated.

* You have a website hosted on geocities which has content which is, at
best, utterly laughable.

* You are inconsistent and hypocritical (one example being the fact that
you did indeed announce to the list that you were "dead" and going to
change alias, and have since - as far as we can see - dropped that).

The overwhelming impression that I get from you, coming from someone who
has seen both sides of the security world, and as someone who does work,
professionally, in information security with large organisations, is
that you're pretentious, fake, and contrived. Frankly, based on your
posts and your website, I get the distinct impression that you're about
15.

I'm not trying to attack you in any way, but as someone who I feel is at
least reasonably representative of a substantial proportion of the list,
I think this is probably a fairly un-unique perspective. If you
genuinely want to be taken seriously and really do want to participate,
I'd suggest that you either amend your ways, answer some of our
questions, or stop biting the trollfood.

Chances are that if you are 'just some kid' someday, you may want to
work in IT. It'd probably be in your interest in this case to distance
yourself from 'n3td3v', find an alias (completely disassociated) to use
(or, if you're brave enough, start using your real name), and heed some
of the advice you've been (with varying degrees of kindness) given.

Even if you don't have the inclination (or ability) to reply sensible,
you might want to at least try and take some of this in! You're welcome
to message me offlist if you're so inclined and have questions.

 - James.

> On 11/25/05, Cassidy Macfarlane <cmacfarlane@...mmond-miller.co.uk> wrote:
> > OK, OK, I ignored the troll earlier about Schneier, but please
> > *don't* now start having a go at Phrack ffs.
> >
> > I thought that you had killed off the n3td3v 'personality'?
> >
> > I realise I am writing a personal opinion email with no new security
> > info,
> > But there was no point in you adding your 0.02p to this discussion.
> >
> > 'outdated'??? Have you read 'smashing the stack'?
> >
> > No?
> >
> > Thanks for playing.
James (njan) Eaton-Lee | 10807960
Semper Monemus Sed Non Audiunt, Ergo Lartus - (Jean-Croix)

sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3