Date: Thu Dec  1 14:14:20 2005
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: AW: Clever crooks can foil wiretaps,	security
	flawin tap technology

Roland Ruf wrote:

>Cool stuff.. *lol*
>
>I do not think, that the FBI is still using this old analogue recorders in
>Total recording mode connected to the analogue extensions...
>
>That may have worked 10 or 15 years ago depending on many things like the
>connection type, the way the recorder detects the signal, etc, but I assume
>only some single manufactures could have that problem... If you record
>extension site on analogue extensions and you use the line sense as
>recording trigger (which is default on many recorders), that thing with the
>CTONE would not have worked... And we do not talk about the digital lines,
>where the recording trigger is normally absolutely independent from the
>audio of that call.
>
>Regards
>
>Roland
>
>coderman wrote,
>

>>heheheh
>>
>>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/250215_wiretap30.html
>>

>//snip
>

>>The tone, also known as a C-tone, sounds like a low buzzing and
>>is "slightly annoying,"
>>

>Obtaining a snooping order based on the fact that this C-tone was
>detected should be easy.  Did you know that escaped prisoners in
>bright orange outfits are difficult to spot in public?
>
>&:-)
>

>--
>Disclaimer: by reading this disclaimer, you agree not to read it
>again.

Oh I dunno,  the other thing is that local law enforcement might be
better and worse off. Sometimes they go and get stuff from Radio Shack
other times they just accept stuff from the FBI or some other agency and
assume it works. They often get hand me downs. The FBI is in real
trouble with technology. I mean if you think of the hacker heros, they
were often caught by sloppiness which cooler and more xperienced folks
might get around.  This is why law enforcement uses a lot of bluster and
tells folks they have done things when they haven't. They feel the
guilty will confess. Truly irritating if you haven't been doing anything.

Trying to say the FBI doesn't have a technology problem is kind of a tad
questionable. They do. The main problem is they are still run by the old
guy cxriminal division. You'd be surprised at what priomative equipment
they use sometimes. So if one wanted to foil them then yes you'd try
stuff and hope it would work. Or you'd use a buy and go cell phone with
no real name. It's possible to get those and if you have money to burn
it might be a good thing. Of course if you are an old style "I don't
want a surviellence state no matter how safe the panoptiocn supposedlyt
makes me"  might try all these things out of spite evedn when doing
nothing wrong.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. I dunno want equipment is used in Europe and South Africa but
sometimes the enfocement agencies tend to have better. If you live in
the US you get used to pretty dumb policemen and enforcement authorities
who catch dumb criminals and blunder into the lives of innocent citizen
and make a mess, and want to say "Oh Opps! Our job is hard you got to
understand..." and get out of any reprecussions.