Date: Mon Dec  5 23:30:04 2005
From: iago at valhallalegends.com (Ron)
Subject: Bug with .php extension?

Simon Richter wrote:
 > I would think this is related to "Options MultiViews", where a file
 > generally has many suffixes (file type, language, compression, ...).
 > Does this also happen to you (yes, I'm too lazy to try right now) if you
 > turn MultiViews off?
 >
 > Nevertheless, good idea that script authors should possibly be aware
 > that any suffix, not just the last, is interpreted.
 >
 >    Simon

Thanks for the response,

That was a good idea, I hadn't thought of it; however, I turned off
MultiViews, and it still behaves the same way.

I also tried adding more extensions, just out of curiosity.  The
following files also run as .php files:
   http://www.javaop.com/~iago/test.php.cpp.java
   http://www.javaop.com/~iago/test.php.a.a.a.a.b.b.b.b.c.d.e.f

Interestingly, these files are NOT affected, and don't parse the .php:
   http://www.javaop.com/~iago/test.php.jpeg.bmp.rar
   http://www.javaop.com/~iago/test.php.jpeg.rar

The first of those two behaves as a .bmp, and the second one behaves as
a .jpeg.

It seems that it uses the last recognized extension when parsing files,
ignoring everything after it.

Any other ideas?  At this point, I'm unsure whether to call it a bug or
a feature, and whether to alert Apache about it.  Unless somebody posts
soon, I'll send a bug report to Apache.

Ron