Date: Thu Dec 22 13:46:43 2005
From: johnc at grok.org.uk (John Cartwright)
Subject: Administrivia: Moderation of Individuals

Hi

Given the recent activity I felt it best to make a statement regarding
my decision to temporarily moderate certain individuals.

After weeks of attempting to solve the issue through diplomacy, I have
come to the unfortunate conclusion that this selective moderation is
necessary for a short period of time. This moderation is based on the
inability of several individuals to abide by the list charter and
does not reflect on any particular piece of research.

The personal attacks must stop, and this decision was taken purely for
that reason. All list members have a right to express their opinions
and publish on-topic information. Similarly, they also possess the
right to do so without excessive ridicule.

For the record, I do believe that XSS and similar bugs in large sites
should be reported, given the size of the list I am sure that all
information is useful to some list members. It is unrealistic to
assume that every post will be relevant to every subscriber.  If a
given topic is not of interest to you as a list member, please take
the simple step of ignoring it. Nobody here has the right to say
what is or isn't useful and I positively encourage all contributions.

Therefore I would ask that anyone posting any form of original
security information is afforded the common courtesy that 99% of the
list's subscribers demonstrate as a matter of course. I do not intend
to allow further abuse of individuals posting on-topic, charter-
relevant information for any reason.

If an individual is clearly being disruptive then this situation is
best resolved off-list. Public attacks serve only to further the
disruption and potentially leads to additional moderation, arguments
about who is to blame, and other needless complications.

Thank you to those individuals who have responded to my private
requests and have stopped their abusive behaviour. To those who have
not heeded my requests, I will state once again that your moderated
status is based purely on inappropriate postings.

Anyone with a clear disregard for the list charter who seeks to
prolong the recent animosity will be dealt with in a similar manner.

Cheers
- John