Date: Thu Dec 29 14:04:53 2005
From: leife at dls.net (Leif Ericksen)
Subject: complaints about the governemnt spying!

There are those laws that are direct and clear cut, and there are the
ones that takes an act of congress to decide what is legal or not.  ;)

Regulations of HIPPA as I understand it are very confusing, and can lead
to a person being a law breaker if they do not follow the regs
correctly, same can be said of SOX.  Then there is always the patriot
act.

Now there used to be a time that if you did not like the president of
the US you could speak out publicly against him.  Well I heard of an
incident in Chicago, IL when Clinton was president that somebody
expressed his dislike of the man with profanity and was jailed for a
weekend Late Friday-Monday and no charges were filled.  Now he could
have been jailed on the OLD law that is still on the books that states
you can not cuss in public in front of a woman, much like the law that
states you can not spit on the ground (1930 law is it?)  Laws are crazy
and sometimes stupid much like it is legal to have SEX with a sheep in
Wisconsin.  Any folks from Wisconsin here might be able to tell us if
that is still the case or not.

The sad thing is ignorance of the law is no excuse.  screaming and
crying about it does NOTHING.  IT takes action.  IF we do not like
something we have to contact our elected officials, or try to run for
office ourselves to make the change.

The biggest problem is the government moved to fast.  IF you want to
indoctrinate people into a new idea or concept and have less complaints,
you have a few things that you have to do.
1 make the people stupid
2 start with the youngsters (Children, I have 3)
  hope the parents are stupid and so they do not try to teach their kids
themselves.

After all it is common practice and always has been common practice to
have a police officer assigned to the local High School correct? (Wait I
did not have one when I was in School)

After all we have always had the WWW have we not?  With that we have
always had monitoring in place so if an extra level of monitoring is in
place it is no big deal right?

Wait, I had no idea what the WWW was when I was in school nor did I know
what IRC was, but in college I used a relay off of PSUVM and had IRC
like chats with folks
/role

It is a process that is moving far to fast.

To argue, well the schools or companies can monitor the networks because
it is the property of the company but the government can not monitor the
networks is actually a weak argument.  After all who owns the primary
data channels?  Who funded the Internet here in the US (US Tax dollars
to the US government ARPA/DARPA).  Crying and whining they can not do
this is just wrong.  The government can monitor the traffic that passes
within its boarders and do monitor it here and in other countries.  The
only way to fight this effectively is to become politically active, as
well as to properly educate CHILDREN and net newbies that this is not
how it used to be.

It is all in the matter of the laws, making them understandable, and not
attaching stupid riders (PORK) that have nothing to do with the law just
to make it pass.  Well these 20-30 folks do not like this law that we
are trying to pass, they do like this little 50 Million$ expense that we
20 - 30 do not like so to make this easier to pass lets attach their
expense to this bill a matter of compromise.  That kind of crap has to
stop.  But since I am not one of the members of the Hill Gang I can not
do anything about it other than educate my children and call my elected
officials. (I have done that)

--

--
Leif Ericksen <leife@....net>