Date: Mon Jan  2 21:43:46 2006
From: jeremy at linuxwiz.net (Gaddis, Jeremy L.)
Subject: Trojan found on Linux server

Niek wrote:
> This is a much seen thing these days.
> Your customer probably got attacked by an insecure php script
> (cacti/xmlphp/awstats/ect). Check your apache logs.
> if I grep my logs for wget, I see tons of attempts.

Roger that.  It wasn't important enough to us to pursue.  I just
recently signed on with this customer and was in the process of moving
their websites over to new, freshly installed servers from the Red Hat
Linux 9 boxes they were running on.  Since we're about to rebuild the
server anyways, it wasn't worth the time to pursue.

> The trojan is a an irc drone, listinging for ddos commands/ect.

Yep, when running "strings" on it I noticed a few IP addresses
(219.133.46.212, 61.211.239.84, 64.239.9.236) in there as well as
commands indicative of IRC ("NOTICE", "NICK", "PRIVMSG", etc.)

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
LinuxWiz Consulting