Date: Thu Jan  5 13:39:26 2006
From: stuart at cyberdelix.net (lsi)
Subject: WMFs blocked with MIME

Preliminary testing reveals that emails containing WMF files can be
blocked by filtering for the MIME-encoded WMF header.  This approach
works even if the file is called WORD.DOC.  The string to check for
is:

183GmgAA

These 8 bytes appear as the first 8 bytes of a MIME-encoded WMF.
Thus, blocking all emails with those bytes in will block all emails
containing WMFs.

This technique can be used with common spam filters.

Regarding web-based WMFs, of the three browsers on this system, only
IE knows what to do with WMFs.  Fortunately, I don't use IE.  This
is, however, one more reason I can use to convince my customers to
dump it.

Stu

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)