Date: Thu Jan  5 19:11:28 2006
From: Glenn.Everhart at chase.com (Glenn.Everhart@...se.com)
Subject: Stop aiding an industry that just hurts humanity

Education is the opposite of oppression?

up to a point. Remember though the business about "power grows out
of the barrel of a gun"? There have been well educated slaves for
thousands of years. Unfortunately technical developments are making it
possible for holders of power to control people in ways not imaginable
earlier. Consider the use of MRI to scan brains and find when people are
telling truth or not. Now consider what it means to be examined about
whether you've done anything or thought anything against the Regime, when
said Regime cannot be lied to then. The polygraph was bad enough as an
invader of privacy; this is worse.

Recent history wrt the USSR may show that regimes that survive by misrepresenting
history are metastable, but it also shows that such metastability can be
rather long lasting. The USSR version lasted 70 years (and considerable traces
were inherited by successor states). The Chinese version has not disintegrated
yet (owing partly to a lesser concentration on upholding false orthodoxy and
more concentration on maintaining control).

These kinds of issues are not (evidently) widely understood. People say
"well, of course if someone knows something that could prevent another 9/11
attack I see no problem using MRI to find out". They do not seem to think
"Do I want to live in a world where whoever is in power can force anyone,
anywhere, to reveal any of their thoughts at any time for reasons those in
power want?" They think in terms of tapping phones of foreign terrorists. They
don't think in terms of tapping EVERY phone in the country (as I gather is
being done) as a prequel to picking out those which might belong to "foreign
terrorists".

People of honorable intentions who have to do police work think in terms of
making their detection job function. However, it is the control freaks who get
into power who turn those powers to extinguish liberty. The US Constitution (and
to a degree Magna Charta, though it was too long ago for the focus to be clear) were
not written to make the country easy to police. There were very good reasons for
this that need to be recalled.  (I might argue that it is clear in the US in
Amendment 2 that the constitution was in a sense a suicide pact, not for the people
but for the government. The history makes it pretty clear the intent was that the
government was not supposed to control most of the firepower...)