Date: Fri Jan  6 01:02:42 2006
From: srenna at lcssecuritygroup.com (Scott Renna)
Subject: WMF round-up, updates and de-mystification

You should read the section entitled FAQ:

How does the extended support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition,
and Windows Millennium Edition affect the release of security updates
for these operating systems?
For these versions of Windows, Microsoft will only release security
updates for critical security issues. Non-critical security issues are
not offered during this support period. For more information about the
Microsoft Support Lifecycle policies for these operating systems, visit
the following Web site.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=LifeAn1

**********************************

also, I'm pretty sure MS only issues patches for critical issues for
Win98, see the link

***********************************

Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition support was scheduled to end on
January 16, 2004. The continual evaluation of the Support Lifecycle
policy revealed, however, that customers in the smaller and the emerging
markets needed additional time to upgrade their product. Therefore,
Microsoft will continue to support Windows 98, Windows 98 Second
Edition, and Windows Me through June 30, 2006.

Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update site
through June 30, 2006.

Microsoft will not publicly release non-critical security hotfixes for
Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition.
However, customers may request a non-critical security hotfix through
On-Demand Security Hotfix support, which is offered for these products
through June 30, 2006. When a request is received, Microsoft will
investigate the issue and try to provide an appropriate response to the
customer.

read next time

:)