Date: Sat Jan  7 17:56:30 2006
From: labeneator at gmail.com (Lmwangi)
Subject: Re: Breaking Computrace LoJack Part II

Maybe, Just maybe. There's a parallel universe with you and a mirror
of your laptop. Of course in the other universe, Somethings would be
different such as the DoD IP address block

On 1/7/06, obnoxious@...h.com <obnoxious@...h.com> wrote:

> Breaking Computrace's LoJack Part II
>
> After my first hurried document, I figured I'd offer some follow
> information. An employee from Absolute.com contacted my employer
> rambling on about me being misinformed on their product. The
> employee from Absolute was more than likely a salesman as he
> couldn't answer technical questions so I requested that he send me
> information about my laptop since he was "concerned" that it had
> not "phoned home". But yet he was stating it had "phoned home" and
> Absolute was still able to track my machine.
>
> One thing this person stated was that "my machine was still calling
> in, but not updating their database with information on the state
> of my machine to their front end, but the back end was still
> working". Meaning, although my machine was not phoning home, it was
> phoning home. After a quick chuckle I again iterated that if this
> were the case - that my machine still contacting his company - he
> should be able to provide me with the information my machine was
> supposedly sending. After I received his response I sent off a
> detailed e-mail calling his bluff.
>
> According to the staff at Absolute.com, my machine had called in
> yesterday (January 06th 2006) morning at 9:45am. They even provided
> me with an IP address. I was shocked and ready to throw in the
> towel at that point, but decided to respond right back to them.
>
> Firstly, on January 06th 2005, my machine was powered down.
> Secondly, it was not physically plugged into any network. Thirdly,
> Troppix was running on the machine and the CD was still in its
> drive. Now I wondered what a marvelous feat it would be for 1)
> Absolute to create a kinetic based program to power up my machine
> at will. Such a great feat would bring them millions in revenue
> from people seeking to conserve money on power. I then thought even
> neater of them to have the ability to connect my machine to a
> network without my knowledge. Zeroconf (www.zeroconf.org) must have
> sped up production and given rights to Absolute or something.
> Almost lastly would be the fact that they've ported over Windows
> executable's and DLL's over to Linux.
>
> If that wasn't enough of a slap in the face, Absolute graciously
> provided me with what they labeled an IP address. The address they
> gave me was 485819880. So I wondered? 1CFC05E8?
> 00011100111101010000010111101000? What kind of crap are they giving
> me? If that's a decimal IP that would place me at 28.245.5.232.
> That would mean that my machine was "phoning home" from a
> Department of Defense" network which would probably make me a
> terrorist. Now I informed Absolute that I have a static address at
> home, this I could verify with my company's syslog server as well
> as 4 other (non company) servers which could provide them with my
> IP address if they wanted it for verification purposes. Surely a
> provider wouldn't pull Absolute's chain and give them false
> information so any claims by Absolute of me "fabricating my IP
> [...]

Article:
-
    And an unknown college dropout named Bill Gates, together with his
partner Paul Allen, wrote a version of the programming language BASIC
for the Altair, forming a company called Micro-Soft in the process. He
would later drop the hyphen and the capital S, and make billions of
dollars.
--
Comment:
+++