Date: Fri Jan 13 22:55:25 2006
From: nfobro at gmail.com (eric williams)
Subject: Steve Gibson smokes crack?

On 13 Jan 2006 14:31:06 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@...nehenge.com> wrote:

> Morning> http://aolradio.podcast.aol.com/sn/SN-022.mp3
> Morning> claiming SetAbortProc() was a purpose placed backdoor...
>
> I've heard that WINE suffers from the same exploit.  How could
> it be a microsoft "conspiracy" if WINE (implemented from API docs)
> does the same thing?

Randal,

Thanks.  That's is precisely the point I have been trying to make,
however, the question is I gather flowing from the Gibson commentary,
how or what exactly causes WINE to execute the code pointed at by the
SetAbortProc record?  Is it the "incorrect record length" is it some
other munged input, is it "by design" which has also been alluded to,
and seems to be your reference here.

IOW, does any know the circumstances, in all cases, where the bug is
triggered or is there only speculation based upon exploit code
"working" against a given vulnerable implementation of the API?

I know I am speculating, but is there or has there been a canonical
analysis done by anyone?

-e