Date: Mon Jan 16 07:17:58 2006
From: lionel.ferette at belnet.be (Lionel Ferette)
Subject: Re: [ GLSA 200601-09 ] Wine: Windows Metafile
	SETABORTPROC vulnerability

In the wise words of Austin Murkland, on Friday 13 January 2006 20:30:
> Can anyone else verify Steve Gibson's assertion that this flaw was
> intentionally placed by Microsoft programmers?
>
> http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-022.htm
>From http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/01/13/417431.aspx:
"Now, there?s been some speculation that you can only trigger this by using an
incorrect size in your metafile record and that this trigger was somehow
intentional.  That speculation is wrong on both counts. The vulnerability can
be triggered with correct or incorrect size values.  If you are seeing that
you can only trigger it with an incorrect value, it's probably because your
SetAbortProc record is the last record in the metafile. The way this
functionality works is by registering the callback to be called after the
next metafile record is played. If the SetAbortProc record is the last record
in the metafile, it will be more difficult to trigger the vulnerability."

No, thus.

HTH,

Lionel

P.S.: cross-posting is bad

--
"To understand how progress failed to make our lives easier,
please press 3"

Lionel Ferette
BELNET CERT Coordinator

Tel: +32 2 7903385                  http://cert.belnet.be/
Fax: +32 2 7903375                  PGP Key Id: 0x5662FD4B