Date: Sat Feb 11 08:10:39 2006
From: measl at mfn.org (J.A. Terranson)
Subject: blocking Google Desktop

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Line Noise wrote:

> I'm still trying to help them understand why stuffing a "Chat"
> (mis)feature into gmail is a problem. No way to turn it off, and each
> account that gets it, starts up with it enabled. Oh, boy, I really
> want the world to know when I'm "on line" (especially when it
> helpfully adds every person who sends you email to your "Contacts"
> list).  So far, I've received an email from them, patting me on the
> head, and telling me that I need to read the help menus better.
> "Disable" and "Off" seem not to be in their vocabulary.

I just love these /rants!

Yes boys and girls, it is not safe to hand your mission critical data to
ANY third party.

If your data is sensitive, keep it home.

If you don't like Google's email "features", you have a choice you know.

	(Hint: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!)

Yes, it really is THAT EASY to fully protect yourself against all this
Google Evil <lmao!>  Just Say No.

The town criers who are sounding the alarms are just ludicrous.  My
favorites are the folks who are bitching and moaning, and are performing
this parade FROM GMAIL ACCOUNTS!

We certainly need FD as to what these products *DO*.  Discussion of how it
works is totally appropriate, but the "evil google doesn't want to give me
an off button" bullshit is pointless.  And while it may be entertaining to
see how many "Security Professionals" (insert SANS or other Pay-For-Play
meaningless but very expensive set of initials here) can't figure out how
to simply Say No to a product they don't like, it's still a horrific waste
of bandwidth.  Even worse, it attracts posts like this one - where every
asshole who meets any of the above descriptions will want his or her
"shot" at this post.  Have at it - it's all yours for the taking, I don't
give a shit enough to respond, so have a party.  Invite the idiot in the
white house, I hear he's feeling unloved today :-)

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@....org

"What The United States *really* needs to win it's War On Some
(but not allied) Terrorists is a good old fashioned Nuclear Enema."