Date: Sat Feb 11 14:48:54 2006
From: gboyce at badbelly.com (gboyce)
Subject: blocking Google Desktop

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> Yes boys and girls, it is not safe to hand your mission critical data to
> ANY third party.
>
> If your data is sensitive, keep it home.
>
> If you don't like Google's email "features", you have a choice you know.
>
> 	(Hint: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!)
>
> Yes, it really is THAT EASY to fully protect yourself against all this
> Google Evil <lmao!>  Just Say No.

Uh huh.

As a computer user, I certainly do have this choice.  I'm certainly not
going to install Google Desktop.  In fact, I generally don't run Windows,
so I don't even have the OPTIOn of running Google Desktop.

This new "feature" still worries me though, and I want to find out how to
block it.  Why?  Because of my JOB.  I'm in a small group of people in
charge of security for a company with hundreds of employees that are local
admins to their desktops and laptops (for various reasons that I'm not
going into here).

I'm not worried about MY documents ending on Google's servers.  I'm
worried about the documents belonging to a percentage of the company that
either doesn't understand the security ramifications of using this
feature, or just doesn't care.

User education only works to a degree.  A way to PREVENT accidental
information disclosure is needed.

--
Greg Boyce