Date: Wed Feb 15 14:18:03 2006
From: bpasdar at igxglobal.com (Babak Pasdar)
Subject: Forensic Analysis of a Paypal Phishing Scam

Hello all,

I recently received this e-mail notifying me of a new e-mail address
that was added to my Paypal account.  I broke down the steps I took to
analyze the e-mail first to identify that it was a phishing scam and
then to track down the steps this Scammer used and identify the systems
in use.

I have provided the e-mail and a synopsis along with a link to the
original full forensics.

Synopsis:
1. The e-mail was sent from a Comcast network in Indianapolis from a
windows machine running outlook express.  The Scammer used a Yahoo name
on the account.

2. The domain was registered through a proxy domain registration company
which uses Yahoo's DNS and provided a web server through Yahoo.

3. The Yahoo web server redirects the user to an Oracle web server on
port 84 running in Seoul, Korea.

4. Finally, when you put in your username and password it tells you the
system is down for maintenance, but does take the time to ask you for
your credit card and pin numbers!

Notes: The Scammer does use an interesting approach in eliminating the
address bar and using a graphics of an address bar in it's place showing
a Paypal login account.

To see the the full analysis click here:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.37

Babak Pasdar
Founder / Chief Technology & Information Security Officer

Support the Daily Security Briefing Web Site and Register Here:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com

For this week's DSB/Week-in-Review Audio/Video Security Report:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com/news.php?item.50.4

To register for a Daily Security Intelligence e-mail:
http://www.igxglobal.com/dsb/register.html

Get your security news via Podcast:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com/page.php?11