Date: Thu Feb 16 15:29:00 2006
From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Subject: First WMF mass mailer ItW (phishing Trojan)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:
> > sites that will infect users.
>
> >How can this be called a worm? AFAIK, malware that needs human intervention
> to spread is a trojan, not a worm.
>
> So are e-mail worms like Sober and Bagle actually Trojans?

Yes. (never will you hear me saying 100%, but pretty much)

When the AV industry understood that most of what they see are Trojan
horses, they started taking them seriously. The tech guys are good guys,
but the AV industry has been around long enough for us all to be set in
our ways.

So, a few years too late they started taking Trojan horses seriously, but
as these Trojan horses are for mass stupid-public consumtion and not
specially-crafted malware for a specific target, maybe that's not very
cool.

Some in the AV industry (on the other hand) still treat Trojans as garbage
files, though.

We learn as we go.

	Gadi.