Date: Sat Feb 18 16:35:05 2006
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: Orwell's country wants Big Brother backdoor
	in Vista cipher!

Babak Pasdar wrote:

>Here is a link to a blog entry I did on CALEA.  I think you might find
>it interesting.
>

>http://dsb.igxglobal.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.29
>
>Babak
>

>On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 08:02 -0600, Leif Ericksen wrote:
>

>>Yikes but go figure...  That is step one at this point to many old farts
>>around that would fight more intense step that is yet on the horizon.  I
>>see it coming some day and it is inevitable...  Does anybody else know
>>what step 2 is going to be when the old farts are gone?  OR at least
>>they can cram it down the throat of society starting with the younger
>>ones...  AKA the Children?
>>
>>Ok it goes something like this.  TCPA is fully enacted on the hardware
>>and almost a software level.  But then again you might not need it on
>>the software level, because of WorldGrid.  Now your system will have no
>>local hard drive, will have a flash ROM for the OS (Mac is now going to
>>Intel so it will be easer for this to happen) ALL software vendors are
>>attached to world grid so you will always have access to the latest and
>>greatest software available.  In comes Micro Transaction Billing.  You
>>will be charged a certain small amount to run the software you desire.
>>Your files will be safe and secure on the grid as well so no matter
>>where in the world you go you can always have access to your data.
>>The story continues but I am sure you all can see the stage.  Now of
>>course your data is 'safe' because you can encrypt it on the Grid with
>>your own password that you create.  IF you have proper TCPA registration
>>you are allowed on the grind and as thus on the Internet, if you do not
>>sorry access denied!  Back to the old days of using a modem on a BBS, or
>>use of packet radio and the like.
>>
>>When the Governments of the world start and companies start trying to do
>>this we know it will be the end of computers as we know them today.  But
>>as far as back doors in encryption goes, you seen these stories pop up
>>every now and again.  The only way to prevent a back door is to create
>>your own security system and not put in a back door for your own use.
>>

>>That is the way things go in our great big an wonderful world.
>>

>>--
>>Leif Ericksen
>>On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 12:56 +0100, Feher Tamas wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4713018.stm
>>>
>>>According to the above article from BBC News, the british
>>>parliament is urging Blair government to negotiate with
>>>Microsoft to implement a backdoor into the strong hard disk
>>>encryption module of upcoming Windows Vista from day one.
>>>
>>>The interior affairs committe of MPs heard testimony by
>>>Cambridge security design expert Ross Anderson. The
>>>academican said new TPM-based "BitLocker Drive Encryption"
>>>schemes in Microsoft Vista would be too difficult to break
>>>in the short timeframe terror suspects can be held without
> [...]
Living in the so called real wold I can understand this. It is very hard
to just stop determoned  US Federal Proescutprs who quietly in meetings
politely threaten to bring all the powers of the state down on you if
you don't comply.  In the US much of the public thinks very highly of
the Law Enforcement.  The Law Enforecement types are very good at
exploting this. They will have someone call and tell folks "hey you are
being uncooperative and you are letting child molestors get away and we
will tell the media about it " and that will work in most places in the
US.  However not as much on the Left Coast. In most of the US most
businesses are very rattled about really offending the powers that be.
There are a variety of reasons for this. Some is that marketeers tell
them not to offend people becuase you will drive away the 30% of the
"Patriot Act/Security Apparatus is Good" Loving Americans away. Some of
it is because they have heard scare stories about someone who did
accidentally fall afoul of the powers that be. Note this does not work
anywhere as well on the "Left Coast"

As far as the world grid stuff you'd have to have a totally
Microsoft-like dominated world so much of that might be just might be on
the paranoid side. What would work likely happen is that there would be
a dedicated Linux/BSD and  Open Source Community and it would have
moderate amounts of free stuff  that works.  But the Microsoft and
Microsoft like flashy stuff that is done by large things like Macromedia
would have quiet security measures in it.  Lots of prorammers might  be
lured by  "make royalties on your software" and all that stuff they used
to do with actors in TV series things. of old. Even though very few
people really benefitted from the whole "residuals" and royalties stuff
in the old days enough did that it was inspring enough to keep many
people unquestioning of the system. Young Folks might not react if it
were not  in your face and say something enticing would be presented.

Humans are prerry bad about predicting the future and the Taoists are
still pretty much right.  "I observe those that would try to control the
whole world, I observe that they fail."  Right now the California
Legislature passed a Resolution pretty snarly about the Patriot Act and
even companies here are quite snarly and say "only with valid US Court
Order" . Now even in Ohio my friends say "Wow, I thought you guys out
there were crazy but it maybe you are right those dudes in DC and what
they want to do."

Hmmm I switched into bold if you have HTML. Anyway I wonder if the
Linux/BSD/Open Source people can come back with real encryption schemes
that work and with enough point and clickiness that they would kind of
make Microsoft look silly. Problem is they are not very good at having
alternatives to command lines and things like that, and real publication
software and art and presentation software beyond say GIMP. That is
really important to people outside of the geeky universe.

Note Well there are enough people here on both the Left and the Right,
one of the few things they agree on is that all this spying on folks
stuff is scary and bad. As long as there are no more terrorist noises
too close to home the current administration is going to lose more and
more people believing that that Law Enforcement and Intelligence needs
more and more super powers at home. Worse yet if they are percieved as
misuing them and being arrogant, which good heaven knows they are, then
their measures and more importantly their world view will be on its way
out. I won't try to speculate about what comes next.  Of I would like to
see the "pleasant left"  get a chance at something major but I dunno
about that. I also don't know about the old occult proverb "be careful
of what you wish for, you may get it." and all that stuff.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

Have Fun,
Sends Steve