Date: Wed Mar 15 21:04:16 2006
From: simon at snosoft.com (Simon Smith)
Subject: Re: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

Dave Korn wrote:
> Simon Smith wrote:
>
>> Ok,
>>    As suspected... so I am correct; and it is a security threat. I can
>> compromise a network, arp poison it, MiTM, access the firewall,
>> distributed metastasis, presto... owned...
Responding to youw ill be fun...
]\
>   Utter garbage.
are you from the UK?
> You haven't the faintest understanding of the concepts you
> are throwing around.  Whatever you do, DO NOT issue a security warning based
> on this thread, or you will look very foolish.

Who ever said I was going to issue a security advisory or "warning" as
you called it? Why do so many people assume so many things?
>   ARP is no use except to redirect traffic WITHIN THE SAME LAN.  You can't
> use it to redirect traffic across the internet-at-large.

Gee, you must have missed the entire thread... who said internet?

>   A base 64 encoded string is not a hash.

Ok I used the wrong term... been a long day... so sorry...

>   There's nothing wrong with BASIC AUTH.

Aside from the fact that its... um... insecure?
>   Seriously, if you don't understand what arp is, how the layers of the OSI
> stack interrelate, or what a hash is, you are fundamentally unaware of the
> basic concepts of networking and security, how can you possible expect to
> write a worthwhile security warning?

Well, you are a good example. You don't write very good emails and you
aren't very well aware of the entire email thread now are you? I'll make
it a point to not be as silly as you. ;]

>     cheers,
>       DaveK

AH you are from the UK, you said Cheers!

--

Regards,
	Adriel T. Desautels