Date: Fri Mar 24 03:54:13 2006
From: deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org (Theo de Raadt)
Subject: Re: SendGate: Sendmail Multiple Vulnerabilities
	(Race Condition DoS, Memory Jumps, Integer Overflow)

> Sendmail is, as we know, the most used daemon for SMTP in the world. This
> is an International Infrastructure vulnerability and should have been
> treated that way. It wasn't. It was handled not only poorly, but
> irresponsibly.

You would probably expect me to the be last person to say that Sendmail
is perfectly within their rights.  I have had a lot of problems with
what they are doing.

But what did you pay for Sendmail?  Was it a dollar, or was it more?  Let
me guess.  It was much less than a dollar.  I bet you paid nothing.

So does anyone owe you anything, let alone a particular process which
you demand with such length?

Now, the same holds true with OpenSSH.  I'll tell you what.  If there
is ever a security problem (again :) in OpenSSH we will disclose it
exactly like we want, and in no other way, and quite frankly since
noone has ever paid a cent for it's development they have nothing they
can say about it.

Dear non-paying user -- please remember your place.

Or run something else.

OK?

Luckily within a few months you will be able to tell Sendmail how
to disclose their bugs because their next version is going to come
out with a much more commercial licence.  Then you can pay for it,
and then you can complain too.