Date: Fri Mar 24 05:29:14 2006
From: BlueBoar at thievco.com (Blue Boar)
Subject: Re: SendGate: Sendmail Multiple Vulnerabilities
	(Race Condition DoS, Memory Jumps, Integer Overflow)

Theo de Raadt wrote:
> But what did you pay for Sendmail?  Was it a dollar, or was it more?  Let
> me guess.  It was much less than a dollar.  I bet you paid nothing.

Hey Theo, what did you pay for all the software you started with and/or
still use in your project?  How much did YOU pay for Sendmail?  And you
guys essentially resell it, right?

> So does anyone owe you anything, let alone a particular process which
> you demand with such length?

I don't know... I seem to see a lot of criticism and demands coming from
your direction:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Theo_de_Raadt

> Now, the same holds true with OpenSSH.  I'll tell you what.  If there
> is ever a security problem (again :) in OpenSSH we will disclose it
> exactly like we want, and in no other way, and quite frankly since
> noone has ever paid a cent for it's development they have nothing they
> can say about it.

Really?  No one?  You wrote it by yourself with no support of any kind?

And are you saying that you plan to slipstream your fixes?

> Dear non-paying user -- please remember your place.

I seem to recall having donated some money, purchased shirts... I think
I've got a number of OpenBSD CDs sets around the house that I purchased.

Now I realize that you consider those "donations", ever though most
people would consider that some degree of having "paid".  But I'd be
willing to bet that even if we worked out some contract that had the
word "paid" in it, that you would still not confer upon me any right to
complain.  That I would still need to remember my place.

So I think we can eliminate payment as a variable.  This simplifies your
argument from "Don't criticize me if you haven't paid" to simply "Don't
criticize me."

Sucks to be held accountable, even when you give stuff away for free,
doesn't it?

> Or run something else.
>
> OK?

I don't know why they don't put you in charge of the fundraising efforts
more often!
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060321034114

And your timing is impeccable!  Buy up!
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060323091020