Date: Sat Mar 25 23:13:07 2006
From: jeff.williams at owasp.org (Jeff Williams)
Subject: RE: 4 Questions: Latest IE vulnerability,
	Firefox vs IE security, User vs Admin risk profile,
	and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

Great topics.

I'm a huge fan of sandboxes, but Dinis is right, the market hasn't really
gotten there yet. No question that it would help if it was possible to run
complex software like a browser inside a sandbox that restricted its ability
to do bad things, even if there are vulnerabilities (or worse -- malicious
code) in them.   I'm terrified about the epidemic use of libraries that are
just downloaded from wherever (in both client and server applications). All
that code can do *whatever* it wants in your environments folks!

Sandboxes are finally making some headway. Most of the Java application
servers (Tomcat included) now run with their sandbox enabled (albeit with a
weak policy). And I think the Java Web Start system also has the sandbox
enabled.  So maybe we're making progress.

But, if you've ever tried to configure the Java security policy file, use
JAAS, or implement the SecurityManager interface, you know that it's *way*
too hard to implement a tight policy this way.  You end up granting all
kinds of privileges because it's too difficult to do it right.  And only the
developer of the software could reasonably attempt it, which is backwards,
because it's the *user* who really needs it right.  Also, applications don't
fail nicely when security exceptions are generated, so it's not like you can
really just slap a sandbox around an application you download and run it.

It's possible that sandboxes are going the way of multilevel security (MLS).
A sort of ivory tower idea that's too complex to implement or use. But it
seems like a really good idea that we should try to make practical. But even
if they do start getting used, we can't just give up on getting software
developers to produce secure code.  There will always be security problems
that sandboxes designed for the platform cannot help with.

I'm with Dinis that the only way to get people to care is to fix the
externalities in the software market and put the burden on those who can
most easily avoid the costs -- the people who build the software. Maybe then
the business case will be more clear.

(Your last point about non-verified MSIL is terrifying. I can't think of any
reason why you would want to turn off verification -- except perhaps startup
speed. But that's a terrible tradeoff.)

--Jeff
http://www.owasp.org