Date: Sun Mar 26 03:53:50 2006
From: william at lefkovics.net (William Lefkovics)
Subject: Industry calls on Microsoft to scrap
	PatchTuesday for Critical flaws

Indeed.  You don't want to release a bad patch (who does?) and you also want
to work on critical issues in an ASAP manner, not tied to any schedule like
7 to 14 days.

"The worst scenario for us is that we release an update which has quality
problems. We believe the downstream problems of releasing patches too
quickly are even more serious than not putting in the quality that they
deserve." - Ben English, Security Leader, Microsoft Australia

Furthermore, Microsoft has an exception policy in place for addressing
vulnerabilities with greater customer risk.

"Microsoft will make an exception to the above release schedule if we
determine that customers are at immediate risk from viruses, worms, attacks
or other malicious activities. In such a situation Microsoft may release
security patches as soon as possible to help protect customers."
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/revsbwp.mspx