Date: Mon Mar 27 14:16:55 2006
From: cbergstrom at netsyncro.com (Christopher Bergström)
Subject: 4 Questions: Latest IE vulnerability,	Firefox
	vs IE security, User vs Admin risk profile,
	and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

Pilon Mntry wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>What about
>>using the
>>facilities already provided by the OS to enforce the
>>sandbox?
>>

>But then will it be possible to prevent buffer
>overflows, still running on unmanaged code?

There are Pax patches for Linux kernel, *BSD has their own flavour (the
name slips my memory) and I believe since service pack 2 XP had some
form of SSP. (Which I've only heard about and not seen nor used.)

If you have managed code concerns the Mono [1] project is certainly a
work in progress, but over the next year I'd like to help overcome any
obvious oversights in security.  Novell has some bright developers
dedicated to security alone and that might be something to look at.  Ask
or give suggestions on the Mono users-list as it's always appreciated.

Cheers,

C.

[1] www.mono-project.com