Date: Thu Mar 30 08:20:52 2006
From: llevier at argosnet.com (Laurent LEVIER)
Subject: Strange interactions between tunnelling
	and SMB under the proprietary Microsoft Windows environment

Hi Marc,

At 07:52 30/03/2006, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
>    However, accessing \\192.168.1.2\c$ did go through the Ethernet
>    interface, and *not the tunnel*, and strangely half-using the private
>    addresses!

This recalls me an old behavior from Microsoft products I was using
to detect Internet rogue backdoors on my company's network.

When a windows is multi-homed, it sends packets towards broadcast @IP
of each of its addresses to fill his computer browser tables.
Here I am talking about this behavior:
- Internal @IP -> Internal NIC -> Internal @IP broadcast
- Internal @IP -> Internal NIC -> External @IP broadcast
- External @IP -> External NIC -> Internal @IP broadcast
- External @IP -> External NIC -> External @IP broadcast

So you can imagine how this was useful. I was routing internal
networks on Internet towards a probe that was also receiving Intranet
routers anti-spoofing realtime logs.
When the probe was receiving a packet from outside targetting an
internal @IP broadcast, I was correlating with antispoof logs of
packets coming from an @IP compatible with this external broadcast
towards the broadcast of the source @IP of the packet received from
the outside and gotcha.

I dont know if Windoze keeps behavior like this.
Possibly this is related?

Brgrds

Laurent LEVIER
Systems & Networks Security Expert, CISSP CISM