Date: Fri Apr  7 21:49:11 2006
From: Ed.Reed at aesec.com (Ed Reed (Aesec))
Subject: [Apparmor-dev] Re: Re: [SC-L] Re: [Owasp-dotnet]
	RE: 4 Questions:Latest IE vulnerability, Firefox vs IE security, User vs
	Admin risk profile, and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

Indeed, one compelling use of AppArmor is to create root-subset profiles
for hard links to /bin/bash so as to effectively partition
administrative privs.

Even root users, when executing within a confined profile, are
constrained - that's the mandatory access control aspect of AppArmor.

You can literally give someone a profiled shell with root privs and let
them try to do something the profile doesn't allow.  If you don't give
them "ls", they'll be unable to list their current directory, anywhere,
as long as they're confined.

You can use this to create profiles for backup operators, help desk
technicians, Human Resources user creation tasks, or my favorite -

Oracle Database Administrators - who have root privs to do stuff they
need to do to their Oracle files and directories, and even processes -
but who cannot bounce the machine or reformat disks or do other stuff
they have no need to do.

It's one approach to an RBAC-sort of control.

Ed