Date: Sun Apr 23 14:50:20 2006
From: fixer at gci.net (Fixer)
Subject: security at .edus

Brian Eaton wrote:

>  Universities tend to be fairly
> decentralized places, where academic freedom can count for a lot more
> than a secure network.  Plus a university network has fewer secrets to
> protect than a business.

Depending on the University, I might or might not agree with that.  I
know of several that have DoD funded research projects going on that
require Top Secret clearances just to work on.  Add to that all of the
student data and you've got a pretty good trove of data.  When you
combine that with the notoriously lax security at most of them you've
got real problems waiting to happen.

-cdh