Date: Mon Apr 24 00:45:24 2006
From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: Re: Who Do I Contact?

--On April 23, 2006 1:48:16 PM -0500 CrYpTiC MauleR
<crypticmauler@...uxmail.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't it matter on which state? I know California for instance has
> strict laws about telling public of breaches, but not sure about other
> states. I will be calling the Attorney General of the the school's state
> tomorrow so should have a good answer.

California's law affects any school that enrolls students from California
that *might* have been affected by a data breach.  What's the chances that
a large school has zero students from California?

I missed the first part of this lovely conversation, but I gather the IT
department was non-responsive?  Does the school have a computer security
department?  If so, have you contact them?

Feel free to contact me privately if you prefer.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member