Date: Fri May 12 04:05:20 2006
From: smaillist at gmail.com (Sowhat)
Subject: Apple QuickTime udta ATOM Heap Overflow

Apple QuickTime udta ATOM Heap Overflow

By Sowhat of Nevis Labs
Date: 2006.05.12

http://www.nevisnetworks.com
http://secway.org/advisory/AD20060512.txt

Vendor:
Apple Inc.

Affected Versions:
Apple QuickTime versions < 7.1

Overview:
We have discovered a critical vulnerability in Quicktime Player.
The vulnerability allows an attacker to  execute arbitrary code
in the context of the user who executes QuickTime.

This vulnerability can be exploited By persuading a user to open
a carefully crafted .mov files or visit a website embedding the
malicious .mov file.

Details:
This vulnerability exists in the way Quicktime process the "udta" Atom of
the .mov files.

The layout of a udta(user data atom) atom:

                           Bytes
   _______________________
  |    User data atom     |
  |     Atom size         | 4
  |    Type = 'udta'      | 4
  |                       |
  |   User data list      |
  |     Atom size         | 4
  | Type = user data types| 4
  |                       |

By setting the value of the Atom size to a large value such as 0xFFFFFFFF,
an insufficiently-sized heap block will be allocated, and resulting in a
classic complete heap memory overwrite during the RtlAllocateHeap() function.

Vendor Response:

2006.05.06	Vendor notified via product-security@...le.com
2006.05.07	Vendor responded
2006.05.09	Vendor ask for more information
2006.05.11	Vendor released QuickTime 7.1
2006.05.12	Advisory released