Date: Fri May 26 12:33:15 2006
From: jm at jmason.org (Justin Mason)
Subject: Re: [General-discussion] Graph analysis of stolen
	credit cards

hi Lance --

interesting data!

It might be worth scaling that against each bank's credit-card issuance
volumes, to compensate for their relative sizes.   This report --
http://www.chicagofed.org/publications/publicpolicystudies/emergingpayments/pdf/eps-2001-2.pdf
-- gives these account volumes for the top 10 banks on page 33:

  1. Bank One Corp./First USA 64,191
  2. Citibank 40,600
  3. Morgan Stanley Dean Witter 38,500
  4. Capital One Financial Corp. 23,705
  5. The Chase Manhattan Corp. 15,592
  6. Households Credit Services Inc. 15,030
  7. Providian Financial Corp. 12,400
  8. Bank of America 12,000
  9. Associates National Bank 8,764
  10. FleetBoston Financial Corp. 7,237

(volume of accounts in thousands).   However that's from 7 years
ago :(

There may be more recent figures but a quick google can't find 'em.

--j.