Date: Wed Jun  7 19:41:56 2006
From: michael.holstein at csuohio.edu (Michael Holstein)
Subject: Breaking LoJack for Laptops

Lisa,

Oh .. and by the way, in case you're curious,

Lojack for Laptops resides in the BIOS CME area, and in the HPA area on
the hard drive. It requires Windows be on the computer to work (although
it does work if Windows is reinstalled without deleting as I mention below).

You can delete the HPA area on the hard drive with something like atapwd
: http://www.rockbox.org/atapwd.zip

This is well-documented and done to hack a variety of other things,
notably the iPod and Xbox.

The CME area on the BIOS can be changed with a BIOS repacker :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/awdbedit/
https://forms.phoenix.com/channels/en/forms/ld/eval/default.asp

Granted, both of these require someone with more than "dumb-thug"
intelligence, and the folks that are smart enough to do the above can
get a good-paying job in IT and not be out stealing laptops in the first
place.

~Mike.

PS: CC of this set back to original mailing list full-disclosure.