Date: Fri Jun  9 16:35:56 2006
From: michael.holstein at csuohio.edu (Michael Holstein)
Subject: SSL VPNs and security

> SSL certificates are free.  You just have to have enough knowledge to
> distribute your own CA certificate.  For a VPN appliance, this should
> not be a problem at all, since only your trusted users should be
> accessing it. Even if you aren't competent enough to figure out how to
> distribute your own CA certificate, I believe there are such things as
> wildcard certificates.

Great .. setup a SSL vpn, then tell your users it's okay to click "yes"
on the "untrusted certificate" popup.

Sure, it's trivial to create self-signed certs (or run a CA), but
distributing your cert (or the CA cert) to all but a handful of clients
is a logistical nightmare.

If you're going to be installing stuff, might as well make that a
IKE/IPSEC client and do it the right way to begin with.

/mike.