Date: Tue Jun 27 10:29:28 2006
From: prb at lava.net (Peter Besenbruch)
Subject: UnAnonymizer

Cardoso wrote:
 > If the app uses an unknow DNS server, I think it's enough of a risk to
 > worry about.

I refer folks to the following page on TOR:

"Using privoxy is necessary because browsers leak your DNS requests when
they use a SOCKS proxy directly, which is bad for your anonymity."
http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

That means, your DNS server becomes the DNS server used by the TOR exit
node. I have no idea how many DNS servers operate with poisoned caches,
and the like. If I wanted to do some financial transaction, I think
Cardoso is suggesting a direct connection, instead. In earlier
discussions, people argued that an SSL connection offered some
protection, or warning about pharming attacks.

 > On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:49:13 +0000 (GMT)
 > Brate Sanders <brate_sanders@...oo.co.uk> wrote:
 >
 > BS> BS> Is there a security issue hidden somewhere in there or is it
just a bug report sent to the wrong mailing list address? :-)
--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky