Date: Thu Jul 13 23:59:22 2006
From: gboyce at badbelly.com (gboyce)
Subject: Debian Development Machine "Gluck" Hacked -
	UPDATE

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, David Taylor wrote:

> Curious why Secunia is rating this as 'less critical'.  The way I see it,
> this exploit could be integrated into the other exploits for mambo, joomla,
> phpbb, etc.  Also, all of us that have websites hosted on linux machines
> that have a vulnerable kernel could get root?
>
> I'm thinking 'highly critical'?

Think of their scoring as a minimum rating.  Depending on the particular
impact to your system, you may need to adjust appropriately.

I would consider this highly critical on any system that would provide
shell access to customers, non-privledged employees, etc.  If a system has
shell access restricted to just admins, I'm would care less about this
vulnerability.  On systems like this I generally assume that if someone
gets shell to the system as a non-prileged user they will eventually get
root anyways.

--
Greg