Date: Sun Jul 16 16:29:08 2006
From: fukami at berlin.ccc.de (fukami)
Subject: 23rd Chaos Communication Congress 2006: Call for
	Participation

23C3: Who can you trust?
23rd Chaos Communication Congress
December 27th to 30th, 2006

Berlin, Germany

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/

Overview
========

The 23rd Chaos Communication Congress (23C3) is the annual four-day
conference of the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) on technology, society
and utopia. The Congress offers lectures and workshops on a multitude
of topics and encourages a critical-creative attitude towards
technology. Since 1984, the Congress has established itself as the
"European Hacker Conference" bringing together the brightest heads
from Europe and all over the world.

We want you to join and be a part of this unique event which serves
as a public platform for cross-culture inspiration and borderless
networking. 23C3 is fun!

Topics
======

The 23C3 conference program is roughly divided into five general
categories. These categories should serve as guidelines for your
submissions and as a means of orientation for our visitors. However,
it is not mandatory for your talk to exactly match the descriptions
below. Anything that is interesting for our audience will be taken
into consideration.

Hacking
-------

The 'Hacking' category addresses topics dealing with technology,
concentrating on current research with high technical merit.
Traditionally, the majority of all lectures at 23C3 revolve around
hacking.

Topics in this domain include but are in no way limited to: network
and system security, programming, hardware hacking, cryptography, and
creative use of technology.

Science
-------

The 'Science' category deals with current or future objects of
scientific research that have the potential to radically change our
lives, be it basic research or projects conducted for the industry.

We are looking for talks and papers on the current state of the art
in this domain, covering subjects such as nano technology, quantum
computing, high frequency physics, bio-technology, brain-computer
interfaces, automated analysis of surveillance cctv, etc.

Society
-------

This category deals with the state of society itself. Anything about
politics and sociology with a relevance for hackers would go in here.

Possible topics could include wire-tapping laws, voting computers,
surveillance practices, net politics, intellectual property and
copyright issues, data retention, software patents, effects of
technology on kids, impact of technology on society in general and more.

Culture
-------

Dealing with cultural mind expansion, this domain addresses the
fringe of the technoverse. Examples are Discordianism, geek
entertainment, video game culture, computer music, pixel art, and
literature for hackers.

Community
---------

The Chaos Communication Congress invites developers, projects and
activists to present themselves and their topics at the Congress.

Developer groups are also encouraged to ask for support to hold
smaller on-site developer conferences and meetings in the course of
the Congress.

Publication
===========

The Chaos Communication Congress Proceedings are published on paper
and online on the Internet. Only reviewed and accepted talks and
presentations will be published.

Audio and video recordings of the lectures will be published online
in various formats as well. All material will be available under the
Creative Commons "Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Germany" (BY-
NC-ND) license allowing free non-commercial redistribution of the
material as long as the original credit to authors and publishers is
retained.

Licence URI: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/de/

We encourage contributors to publish their work under a more liberal
license; if you wish to do so, please state this with your
submission. See below for submission guidelines.

Further Information

The Chaos Communication Congress is a non-profit oriented event and
speakers are not paid. Financial help on travel expenses and
accomodation is in principle possible but is to be agreed upon after
acceptance of the lecture/workshop. Please state your requirements
when submitting your lecture.

You can find the preliminary agenda and additional information on our
23C3 website at http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/.

For further information and questions please feel free to contact
23c3-content@...v.de

Submissions
===========

All proposals MUST be submitted online using our online lecture
submission system at http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/submission.
Please follow the instructions given there.

Please make sure you have read all information on what to submit
below and send us everything in one go. If you have any questions
regarding your submission, feel free to contact us at 23c3-
content@...v.de but do not submit your lecture via e-mail.

Language
========

23C3 is an international event and we want to have a lot of
interesting talks in English for the benefit of our growing number of
international guests. So we are looking for speakers who can give
lectures and/or workshops in either English or German. While we are
interested in maximum quality of presentation, the topic and its
relevance to our community are our main concern. The chosen language
is not a criteria for accepting or rejecting a proposed lecture.

If you feel insecure talking in English, have received criticism on
your language skills from your audience before, or if you just fear
that the value and understandability of your lecture might suffer,
please offer your talk in German. Please tell us if you are a native
speaker of English or have similar skills, when submitting your lecture.

Lecture Requirements
====================

Lectures should not exceed 45 minutes plus up to 10 minutes for
questions and answers. Longer timeslots are possible if we feel the
topic demands it (please tell us if necessary). Workshops should
include a talk on the basic principles and a practical hands-on section.

Required speaker information
============================

Name: Full name of speaker
Public Name: Name you'd like to see published at 23C3
Other Names: nicknames, titles etc.
Contact information
Primary E-Mail address
Phone number(s)
Instant messaging address(es)
A photo in square format, min. 128x128 pixels or more (optional)
Public home page, weblog and other speaker-related websites
Abstract: Compact description of speaker (one sentence in the form
"Hans Meier is a ...")
Postal address
Bank information (if financial help is agreed on)
Expected day of arrival and departure
Be assured that your contact information and other private data will
be kept both secure and private: our dislike for spammers and
obnoxious privacy invaders is hard to put into words to say the least.

If you already submitted or held a lecture at one of our former
conferences there is a good chance we already have your contact data
in our system. Please use the same e-mail address to contact us and
in your lecture submission if possible.

Lecture information
===================

Title: Name of event or lecture (max 40 letters)
Subtitle: Additional title description (a couple of words, optional)
(max. 100 letters)
Abstract: An abstract of the event's content (max. 250 letters)
(250 to 500 words)
Please state if you are going to submit a paper to be included in the
23C3 Proceedings
Please state if you are going to use slides in your talk and in which
format you are going to provide a copy
Duration of your talk
Language of the talk
Links to background information on the talk
Target Group: Beginners, Advanced Users, Pros
Resources you need for your talk (Internet, digital projector,
overhead projector, pens, assitant personal, presentation computer)
Related talks at 23C3 you know of (including previously submitted
talks by yourself)
A lecture logo, square format, min. 128x128 pixels (optional)
You can provide papers and slides upon submission or at the latest
before the given deadline.

Papers
======

Accepted speakers can optionally hand in a paper which will be
published with an ISBN in the 23C3 Proceedings. Papers will be
accepted in Portable Document Format (PDF) only and should be around
5 pages. The PDF file must not be password-protected or contain other
restrictions. Paper size should be DIN A4 in portrait orientation.
All margins must be set to at least 2 cm (0.78 inches). Pictures
should be greyscale and up to 300dpi. Apart from that, you are free
to use any layout you want.

Slides
======

Accepted speakers are asked to hand in slides used in their talks.
Please use a well-known format for your slides.

Dates and deadlines

The deadline for submission is September 15th, 2006.
Notification of acceptance will be sent by e-mail on October 15th,
2006 the latest. However, you may very well get your notification
earlier than that if needed.
Final papers or slides are due by November 15th, 2006.

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and
scientists build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children