Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:59:55 +0100
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: 70 million computers are using Windows
	98rightnow

On 13 Jul 2006 at 14:25, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

> > I'd like to see someone discus the plan of execution of exactly how a
> > hacker would go about compromising 70 million Windows 98 computers.
>
> Put the exploit on your myspace account ;-)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060721/tc_nf/44765;_ylt=AvWqoQc0U._mqKuSrX.znHUDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDhxNDFzBHNlYwNtZW5ld3M-

MySpace Banner Ad Infects Million Users

Walaika K. Haskins, newsfactor.com
Fri Jul 21, 12:28 PM ET

A banner advertisement posted on the MySpace Web site may have
infected more than one million users with adware, according to
security firm iDefense. The advertisement was included in user
profiles on MySpace and could have been operating for about one week.

The deckoutyourdeck.com advertisement exploited a flaw in the way
Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser handles Windows Metafile
(WMF) image files. Users running unpatched versions of IE would never
have realized that the banner ad had silently installed programs that
generate pop-up ads on their system.

"This is a criminal act," said Hemanshu Nigam, chief security office
at MySpace, in a statement. "This ad is being delivered by ad
networks who distribute these ads to over a thousand sites across the
Internet in addition to ours. We are working to have these ad
networks remove this ad so that they do not appear on our site."

Banner Patch

An iDefense spyware analyst, Michael La Pilla, told The Washington
Post that he discovered the attack on Sunday as he browsed the
MySpace site. When he came across a page with the offending ad, he
received a message from his browser asking him if he wanted to open a
file named exp.wmf.

After a brief investigation, La Pilla found out that the spyware
installation program contacted a Russian-language Web server in
Turkey that tracks the PCs on which the program has been installed.
The tally had climbed to 1.07 million machines, though La Pilla said
the seven Internet addresses contacted by the downloader seem to be
inactive now.

According to La Pilla, the ad also attempted to infect users of
Webshots.com, a photo-sharing site. Though he cannot pinpoint the
date the ads began sending out their spyware, it is believed that it
coincided with the occurrence on MySpace on July 12.

The WMF vulnerability was originally discovered last December after
hackers exploited the flaw using a specially created WMF image
distributed via e-mail, instant message links, and Web sites. When
users opened the image, the hacker could take control of the infected
PC. Microsoft released a patch for the bug back in January, but many
people did not install the patch.

PCs with unpatched systems can become infected simply by accessing a
Web page with the deckoutyourdeck.com ad. The exp.wmf Trojan horse
program could upload automatically without the warning prompt that La
Pilla received.

Once installed, PCs running the Trojan horse will contact multiple
Web sites and download a slew of unwanted programs such as PurityScan
advertising software. PurityScan is an adware program that can cause
pop-up windows containing unsolicited ads to appear. The application
also keeps track of the user's online activity.

Two Wrongs

Rob Ayoub, an analyst at the research firm Frost & Sullivan, said two
facts stand out regarding the MySpace infections. First, home users
are clearly not as educated about the need to make sure they have up-
to-date patches and other security fixes installed. Second, MySpace
needs to have a better security system to identify dangers hidden in
the ads they serve.

If you are a legitimate business with a legitimate Web site hosting
banner ads, you have a responsibility to keep the service clean,
Ayoub said. "MySpace has some problems and this is a real blunder on
their part. I can't believe any business would not scan or take more
caution with banner ads posted on their sites. Ad network or not,
there is no excuse for them not having a checking system."

One million people is a very large number, Ayoub said, and it
demonstrates that the technology industry, and security firms and
software makers in particular, might not have done enough to impress
upon home users the importance of downloading patches. PCs that have
not been updated exponentially increase problems with viruses,
spyware and adware.

"MySpace should have been checking and users should have been
patching," Ayoub said. "And because of that combination you have a
million downloads."

Some PC users have said their reluctance to install patches and
updates centers around the fear that any changes will negatively
impact their computers. However, Ayoub pointed out, unwanted changes
or problems with updates is relatively rare these days.

"There was a time when you had to watch and be very careful with your
patches," Ayoub said. "And some of the big ones are a problem, but
there haven't been big problems with patches for ages."

Home users, Ayoub predicted, will not start to take security
seriously until Internet service providers start to make antivirus
and antispyware software compulsory. That may or may not be the best
solution, he said, but incidents like this are a "perfect storm" for
users not protecting themselves.

"That's extremely dangerous," Ayoub said. "Maybe what we need to do
is run public service announcements."

MySpace is "strongly" urging all Internet users to "follow basic
Internet security practices such as running the latest version of the
Windows operating system, installing the latest security patches, and
running the latest anti-spyware and anti-adware software."

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)