Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 07:46:23 +1200 (NZST)
From: Ivan Stroks <ivanstroks@...oo.co.nz>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Exploiting heap overflows in W2K

Hi list,

  I am trying to exploit a Heap buffer overflow vulnerability and facing some problems, hope you could help.
  I run the vulnerable program in a VMWare, attached with Olly.

  These are my problems:

  1. I control both EAX and ESI, when the program goes to

     mov [esi], eax
     mov [eax + 4], esi

     First of all, I tried gainig control of execution through PEB but, according to Halvar's presentation, there are some restrictions to what you can write in the header of the overflowed buffer.
     Quoting:

     " Properties our block must have:

         Bit 0 of Flags must be set
         Bit 3 of Flags must be set
         Field_4 must be smaller than 0x40
         The first field (own size) must be larger than 0x80

         The block ‘XXXX99XX’ meets all  requirements"

     So, supposing PEB pointer to overwrite is 0x7FFDF020 I would need to specify for example: XXXX20f0fd7f, but this is not matching required properties and so RtlFreeHeap exits.
     I am sure I must be missing something here, but can't find it.

  2. An aditional problem I am facing, due to the fact that this is my first heap overflowing session, is that when I trigger the vulnerability as soon as the programs comes back from "revert snapshot" then I get to rtlHeapFree ok, but if some other request are performed to the program before, then I cannot reproduce that behaviour again and different behaviours and situation arise.
    It is obvious that my exploit won't be the first request the program receives so, how can I manage this?

    Hope you could help!
    Regards

 IvaN!

Content of type "text/html" skipped