Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:47:55 -0400
From: "Peter Dawson" <slash.pd@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: ProtectFly/RegisterFly - Whois information -
	Non-Disclosure legal??

is not registration by proxy an accepatable practice by Registers ?

If harvesting is being done and malious activites [spam and whatever] then
just contact the register admin and let them know..

On 8/4/06, Nancy Kramer <nekramer@...dtheater.net> wrote:

> Yes having a "private" registration is legal at least in the US.  Godaddy
> also does it.  They charge extra for it.
>
> People do this so spam bots will not harvest their email on their domain
> registration.  I personally don't think it is a good idea unless someone
> wants to do something wrong with the domain but that is just my opinion.
>
> If the people who own those domains are doing something wrong like
> spamming
> your blog I think you can contact the registrar and tell them.  They
> should
> either give you the contact information or do something about the domain
> owner themselves.  I know Godaddy would probably be helpful because they
> are a pretty good company but don't know about these companies since I
> don't deal with them myself.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nancy Kramer
> Webmaster http://www.americandreamcars.com
> Free Color Picture Ads for Collector Cars
> One of the Ten Best Places To Buy or Sell a Collector Car on the Web
>

> At 09:21 AM 8/4/2006, Dan B wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I recently noticed some spam comments to my blog. Upon looking at the
> >link they were linking back to it is an aggregation of various people
> >RSS from their blogs.
> >
> >Upon examining the domains and their whois info they all appear to be
> >registered with ProtectFly. Their whois information does not give out
> >the contact details of the domain owner. Some random looking email
> >address, that I guess might forward back to the real owner.
> >
> >Is this non-disclosure of the contact details legal?
> >
> >Am I missing some method to find the correct info?
> >
> >Example:-
> >dan@...ox ~ $ whois nags-head-real-estate.info
> >Domain ID:D13743171-LRMS
> >Domain Name:NAGS-HEAD-REAL-ESTATE.INFO
> >Created On:10-Jun-2006 02:42:27 UTC
> >Last Updated On:22-Jun-2006 07:15:54 UTC
> >Expiration Date:10-Jun-2007 02:42:27 UTC
> >Sponsoring Registrar:RegisterFly.com, Inc. (R318-LRMS)
> >Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
> >Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
> >Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED
> >Registrant ID:tuxfIgCP2SraElSj
> >Registrant Name:Whois Protection Service - ProtectFly.com
> >Registrant Organization:RegisterFly.com - Ref-R# 37871268
> >Registrant Street1:404 Main Street
> >Registrant Street2:4th Floor
> >Registrant Street3:
> >Registrant City:Boonton
> >Registrant State/Province:NJ
> >Registrant Postal Code:07005
> >Registrant Country:US
> >Registrant Phone:+1.9737362545
> >Registrant Phone Ext.:
> >Registrant FAX:+1.9737361355
> >Registrant FAX Ext.:
> >Registrant Email:aqjsh4n3a1mmpj@...tectfly.com
> >Admin ID:tu0yrgMvIcEJ2aIH
> >Admin Name:Whois Protection Service - ProtectFly.com
> >Admin Organization:RegisterFly.com - Ref-A# 37871268
> >Admin Street1:404 Main Street
> >Admin Street2:4th Floor
> [...]

http://peterdawson.typepad.com
PeterDawson Home of ThoughtFlickr's
"This message is printed on Recycled Electrons."

Content of type "text/html" skipped