Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:53:39 -0400
From: <Glenn.Everhart@...se.com>
To: <Simon.Richter@...yros.de>, <michael.cullen@...sic.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: RE: New Laptop Polices

If the data is encrypted on laptop that mitigates loss. If you have never heard of
truecrypt (as one possibility that is free), go learn (and use!) now.

However I fail to see the governments doing much to see that whatever gets checked
through in fact GETS to the destination with the passenger, is un-rifled-through,
un stolen-from, and in fact also GETS to the passenger again. Much better safety of
the materials ought to be as high a priority as the interference. They need also to
consider that for example piezoelectric quartz could be an igniter. Those bits are
tiny (would be hard to see in sand). Probably scores or more of other ways to generate
ignition are doable also. Detective work to keep attackers from getting on planes in
the first place seems more effective.

If instead of just taking things from people they would pack them and carry them on
the plane (perhaps in a resistant box) and deliver back to passengers, the pain of finding
you have some contraband du jour and must either lose it forever or not fly could be
lessened. Such actions would go a rather long way to mitigate, in turn, the problems
being caused for travellers.
Glenn Everhart
(speaking for myself)