Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:30:12 -0400
From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <simon@...soft.com>
To: "Adriel T. Desautels" <simon@...soft.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Subject: Re: Re: ICMP Destination
	Unreachable	Port	Unreachable

Also,
    I failed to mention that they came in bursts of 3 every 5 minutes on
the dot.

Adriel T. Desautels wrote:
> Well,
>     After over 100,000 alerts each with very different payloads the
> traffic stopped. I do have a list of all of the dropped packets from my
> firewall as well and it appears that it was hitting 3 IP addresses which
> are public facing, not just one. The weird part, is that two of those
> three aren't even live. So I think that this may have been noise from a
> different attack...
>
>     I'd be very interested in decoding the payloads for some of these.
> Anyone here have any tools to do such a decode? I'd rather not do it
> manual if at all possible.
>
> Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:33:13 BST, Barrie Dempster said:
>>

>>> Although the port 0 in this case is a red herring and irrelevant. Port 0
>>> itself when used with TCP/UDP (not ICMP!) can actually be used on the
>>> Internet. A while back I modified netcat and my linux kernel so that it would
>>> allow usage of port 0 and was able to connect to a remote machine via TCP
>>> with that port and communicate fine.
>>>

>> Of course, the poor security geek who see a TCP SYN from port 0 to port 0,
>> and then a SYN+ACK reply back, will be going WTF??!? for the rest of the day. :)
>>
>> (Another good one to induce head-scratching is anything that does
>> RFC1644-style T/TCP.  Anytime you see a packet go by in one direction with
>> SYN/FIN *and* data, and the reply has SYN/ACK/FIN and data.. ;)
>> data on it... ;)

Regards,
    Adriel T. Desautels
    SNOsoft Research Team
    Office: 617-924-4510 || Mobile : 857-636-8882

    Vulnerability Research and Exploit Development

BullGuard Anti-virus has scanned this e-mail and found it clean.
Try BullGuard for free: www.bullguard.com