Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:43:45 -0500
From: "Trey Keifer" <midnitrcr@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Tempest today

I had not seen a realistic, working public example until I picked up
on this just the other day. Granted, it's sketchy on details, but
assuming it is a honest example it is impressive.

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2006/03/09/video-eavesdropping-demo-at-cebit-2006/

Everything else seemed to reference the original 1985 article on the
subject by Van Eck where he used a television to pick up the signal
from a VDU.

http://upe.acm.jhu.edu/websites/Jon_Grover/emr.pdf

On 8/18/06, J. Oquendo <sil@...iltrated.net> wrote:

> Paul Sebastian Ziegler wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Can anybody tell me how far evolved this technique is today and who uses
> > it? Maybe some reference to a whitepaper or something similar. Would be
> > great.
> >
> Did you mean Van Eck Phreaking... EM eavesdropping, or TEMPEST itself.
> TEMPEST is the solution for EM eavesdropping. If you're talking about
> Van Eck Phreaking, I'm not sure you're going to get much information
> from people explaining how they're doing it (eavesdropping) and what
> they're using to do it. That "WOULD/COULD" be akin to a criminal walking
> into a police station explaining how he robbed that bank. TSCM has a lot
> of information on this kind of stuff http://www.tscm.com/ and a lot of
> knowledgeable people who interact with each other. You might be better
> off seeing what's happening in governmentland though:
>
> See their reference notes:
> http://www.cs.nps.navy.mil/people/faculty/rowe/edg_attacks.htm
>
> --
> J. Oquendo
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
> sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net
>
> The happiness of society is the end of government.
> John Adams

Content of type "text/html" skipped